SLIDER

Chronic otitis media with effusion (COME)

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Okay--- I probably should have went to bed an hour ago (and this is the fifth post of the night)...but I had to share some interesting information I stumbled upon tonight.

I have only googled ear infections like a million times... but for some reason during my research tonight I found an ear condition called Chronic otitis media with effusion or also known as (COME). COME happens when fluid remains in the middle ear for a long time or returns over and over again, even though there is no infection. COME makes it harder for children to fight new infections and also can affect their hearing.

Here is the technical description of it...

When fluid forms in the middle ear, the condition is known as "otitis media with effusion." This occurs in a recovering ear infection or when one is about to occur. Fluid can remain in the ear for weeks to many months. When a discharge from the ear persists or repeatedly returns, this is sometimes called chronic middle ear infection. Fluid can remain in the ear up to three weeks following the infection. If not treated, chronic ear infections have potentially serious consequences such as temporary or permanent hearing loss

Something else even more interesting I read about has to do with apnea machines and the effect they have on your ears. Here is a blurb from one of the sites---Use of a continuous positive airway pressure machine for obstructive sleep apnea -- this can cause pressure changes in the eustachian tubes resulting in dysfunction and effusion. If you can remember... Harrison was on a c-pap machine (also known as a apnea machine) for several weeks in the NICU.

While most of treatment includes tubes and a steady lose dose of antibiotics is what I have found so far---knowing this extra piece of information helps put the pieces together for these last 12 ear infections. I will definitely be doing more research on this.



3 comments:

  1. Here's a link to an allergist that works with ear allergies. http://earallergy.com/ I believe that is what he thinks COME is a result of - some interplay between infection and..."The American Academy of Allergy and Immunology has officially recognized that inflammation in the middle ear is simply an extension of chronic mucosal disease of the nasal and upper airway passages. Furthermore, it has been demonstrated that the mucosa of the middle ear is capable of mounting an allergic immunologic response similar to that seen in the rest of the upper respiratory system mucosa when confronted by an antigen challenge."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The right thing to do is get screened and started on an immunotherapy regimen. I let you know how it goes. I'm about a month in on my treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Osteopathic? http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/108/5/260
    I'll try anything at this point. I'm scared what happens when it gets to be cold season and this isn't cleared up. Another infection, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger