The day first started at 2:41 am when I got a text from my expectant friend/photography client Nina. I slept through the first two texts that read, "My water just broke." "I am going to the hospital in a little bit, I'll keep you posted." At 4:20 am Nina called me and said, " I am a 6 or 7 and I am going fast." For those of you that don't know...this soon to be mom was going to my first ever birth to photograph, I've known it for months and as each day grew closer the excitement grew! I told Nina I would hop in the shower quick and be there within the hour. Walking out the door at 4:45 am to head to the hospital Nina called to say she was at a 9. I sped all the way to the hospital (which luckily is only about a mile away from our house). I had to check in at security, where I told them this is a rush I need to get up there! I practically ran through the hospital put my hand on door and heard the baby cry. My heart sank for a minute...how could I have missed this? I entered the room as the baby girl was being placed on Nina (4:55 am). I got out the camera and started clicking. My first shots were of dad cutting the cord. What I realized at this point I hadn't missed capturing anything, this was just the beginning.
I often think of myself as a shy/timid person, but when it comes to work and photography I burst with confidence and do what I am supposed to do...in this case, keep clicking the camera.
Being here at that moment experiencing this was priceless...an opportunity of a lifetime, not only for a photographer, but as a person.
For those of you that are my faithful readers you know our story. I have one photo taken from our old fashioned cell phone from our son's Harrison's birth 2.5 years ago. But what is the most magical about these photos is seeing the joy in welcoming a baby.
The reason I chose to share a few of these photos with you is because I gained so much from this birth. As a mother of a preemie I didn't hold Harrison for the first time until he was two days old. Those were probably the longest two days of my life. Nina shared Danica with me...I held her at 20 minutes new. It was a feeling I only describe as amazing. Even though she isn't mine, doesn't change the feeling I got from this.
Going through this birth in real life opened my eyes to what a great experience birth can be. The only other birth I've ever seen is my own...which was absolutely terrifying knowing this was happening 3 months too soon. Being pregnant this second time having Danica's birth mind some how puts me at ease. Her birth can't erase my memory, but helped me see the other side and for that I am so thankful to have had this chance.
I spent several hours at hospital not only photographing beautiful Danica, but talking with Nina whom if you are wondering we met through e-mail and photos a couple of years ago. Nina challenged me to photograph their wedding reception (and I don't do weddings). I reluctantly agreed which was one of the best decisions I have ever made, not professionally, but personally. Nina and her husband Scott are the nicest people anyone could ever ask to meet.
And Miss Danica earned her racing name (her daddy is a huge racing fan) as she arrived more speedy than expected. Danica didn't wait for the doctor, the nurses delivered her, she held on in time so her daddy was there minutes before her birth and I arrived minutes after. I think she won race! :)
Sadly this morning I learned baby Danica got an infection that required her to be transferred to another hospital NICU today (the same NICU Harrison spent two months at). She will definitely be in good hands of these nurses and doctors. Thoughts and prayers go out to the Maschka Family. Wishing Miss Danica a speedy recovering so she can join big brother Dawson at home very soon!
I often think of myself as a shy/timid person, but when it comes to work and photography I burst with confidence and do what I am supposed to do...in this case, keep clicking the camera.
My favorite moment was this...(shot less than 5 minutes after my arrival).
Being here at that moment experiencing this was priceless...an opportunity of a lifetime, not only for a photographer, but as a person.
For those of you that are my faithful readers you know our story. I have one photo taken from our old fashioned cell phone from our son's Harrison's birth 2.5 years ago. But what is the most magical about these photos is seeing the joy in welcoming a baby.
Below is beautiful mom Nina holding baby girl Danica. She is 7 lb 13 oz of love.
The reason I chose to share a few of these photos with you is because I gained so much from this birth. As a mother of a preemie I didn't hold Harrison for the first time until he was two days old. Those were probably the longest two days of my life. Nina shared Danica with me...I held her at 20 minutes new. It was a feeling I only describe as amazing. Even though she isn't mine, doesn't change the feeling I got from this.
Going through this birth in real life opened my eyes to what a great experience birth can be. The only other birth I've ever seen is my own...which was absolutely terrifying knowing this was happening 3 months too soon. Being pregnant this second time having Danica's birth mind some how puts me at ease. Her birth can't erase my memory, but helped me see the other side and for that I am so thankful to have had this chance.
I spent several hours at hospital not only photographing beautiful Danica, but talking with Nina whom if you are wondering we met through e-mail and photos a couple of years ago. Nina challenged me to photograph their wedding reception (and I don't do weddings). I reluctantly agreed which was one of the best decisions I have ever made, not professionally, but personally. Nina and her husband Scott are the nicest people anyone could ever ask to meet.
And Miss Danica earned her racing name (her daddy is a huge racing fan) as she arrived more speedy than expected. Danica didn't wait for the doctor, the nurses delivered her, she held on in time so her daddy was there minutes before her birth and I arrived minutes after. I think she won race! :)
Sadly this morning I learned baby Danica got an infection that required her to be transferred to another hospital NICU today (the same NICU Harrison spent two months at). She will definitely be in good hands of these nurses and doctors. Thoughts and prayers go out to the Maschka Family. Wishing Miss Danica a speedy recovering so she can join big brother Dawson at home very soon!






No comments:
Post a Comment