Do you know it's been 6 months since Harrison was last seen by his primary doctor? Seriously can't believe it. Besides having his tubes check once and meeting with the immunologist---he has been healthy. Last year this time he had 6 ears infections and countless other bumps in the road. It got to the point, I didn't believe he would ever be healthy.
Healthy. What a fantastic word, worth repeating--- HEALTHY. Practically makes you want to get up and jump and scream and I would if Harrison wasn't napping right now :).
The appointment started off really rough to gently put it. Harrison was attached to me like an appendage---he wanted nothing to do with being there. Then I had a flash back to his immunology appointment 2 months prior which isn't something I want to remember (it was that bad). So back to the appointment today. We tried weighing Harrison standing up, sitting and lying down. Yep, none of the above work. Lastly we had to resort to me holding him on the scale and then weighing myself after and subtracting the difference.
Next we were shown to the room and once the door closed Harrison only had one mission and that was to get the heck outta there. Thank goodness so after Dr. Gerhard came in and Harrison was content eating his grapes (his favorite new food). He tried to escape a few more times while I was talking with the doctor.
Harrison passed all of his developmental skills including communication and fine motor skills. He also passed the screening for autism. All good news.
Growth is also good news. Today he measured just a smudge over 32 inches. I can't seem to find the post from his 18 month appointment, which I am sure I did, but taking a look from memory----he almost grew 2 inches during the last 6 months. He is approximately in the 3-10 percentile for height. He gained what I am vaguely remember about 3 lbs since the last appointment, today he weighed 26 lbs 10 oz. He is getting heavy! This weight gain bumped him up from the 10th percentile to the 25 percentile. No folks, he isn't a stranger to food. The lady at the table next to us at Fazolis said to me today, "Look at him eat, you aren't probably going to be able to afford to feed him in a few more years." You would have had to be there today, but it was a cuteness overload when every time the lady came around (he would actually look for her) handing out bread sticks Harrison signed (and said) "more" and as she continued on he signed (and said) "thank you." This was Harrison's and I's first eating out together (without daddy) experience and did so great, we didn't even use a high chair or a booster and he sat like a champ). The best part of all of this eating is that he loves so many healthy foods---grapes, apples, bananas, beans, carrots. Oh and he likes cookies too.
The rest of the appointment went pretty well (minus the flu shot). As Dr. Gerhard listened to his lungs and heart I distracted him by looking out the window and asking him if big trucks were coming or our famous distraction, "where is Whitney Dog?" I am not going to lie, he hated to have his ears looked at (which I don't blame him from his long history with them), but good to know the tubes are still in place and open---doing their job. I asked Dr. Gerhard about Harrison yellow tongue he gets regularly and from what he said and I read online, it's just drainage---which is the only thing Harrison really still struggles with. We did talk about his vomiting which comes and goes and really this can be typical with the drainage issues and with Harrison's growth and overall health, hopefully this will be something in time that will fade as well.
But really, how lucky are we to be where we are now? We are so blessed.
If you didn't already know our story, you would have never known this little boy was born premature.
Do you like the new heading to the blog? Simply stated and ever so true.
Healthy. What a fantastic word, worth repeating--- HEALTHY. Practically makes you want to get up and jump and scream and I would if Harrison wasn't napping right now :).
The appointment started off really rough to gently put it. Harrison was attached to me like an appendage---he wanted nothing to do with being there. Then I had a flash back to his immunology appointment 2 months prior which isn't something I want to remember (it was that bad). So back to the appointment today. We tried weighing Harrison standing up, sitting and lying down. Yep, none of the above work. Lastly we had to resort to me holding him on the scale and then weighing myself after and subtracting the difference.
Next we were shown to the room and once the door closed Harrison only had one mission and that was to get the heck outta there. Thank goodness so after Dr. Gerhard came in and Harrison was content eating his grapes (his favorite new food). He tried to escape a few more times while I was talking with the doctor.
Harrison passed all of his developmental skills including communication and fine motor skills. He also passed the screening for autism. All good news.
Growth is also good news. Today he measured just a smudge over 32 inches. I can't seem to find the post from his 18 month appointment, which I am sure I did, but taking a look from memory----he almost grew 2 inches during the last 6 months. He is approximately in the 3-10 percentile for height. He gained what I am vaguely remember about 3 lbs since the last appointment, today he weighed 26 lbs 10 oz. He is getting heavy! This weight gain bumped him up from the 10th percentile to the 25 percentile. No folks, he isn't a stranger to food. The lady at the table next to us at Fazolis said to me today, "Look at him eat, you aren't probably going to be able to afford to feed him in a few more years." You would have had to be there today, but it was a cuteness overload when every time the lady came around (he would actually look for her) handing out bread sticks Harrison signed (and said) "more" and as she continued on he signed (and said) "thank you." This was Harrison's and I's first eating out together (without daddy) experience and did so great, we didn't even use a high chair or a booster and he sat like a champ). The best part of all of this eating is that he loves so many healthy foods---grapes, apples, bananas, beans, carrots. Oh and he likes cookies too.
The rest of the appointment went pretty well (minus the flu shot). As Dr. Gerhard listened to his lungs and heart I distracted him by looking out the window and asking him if big trucks were coming or our famous distraction, "where is Whitney Dog?" I am not going to lie, he hated to have his ears looked at (which I don't blame him from his long history with them), but good to know the tubes are still in place and open---doing their job. I asked Dr. Gerhard about Harrison yellow tongue he gets regularly and from what he said and I read online, it's just drainage---which is the only thing Harrison really still struggles with. We did talk about his vomiting which comes and goes and really this can be typical with the drainage issues and with Harrison's growth and overall health, hopefully this will be something in time that will fade as well.
But really, how lucky are we to be where we are now? We are so blessed.
If you didn't already know our story, you would have never known this little boy was born premature.
Do you like the new heading to the blog? Simply stated and ever so true.



No comments:
Post a Comment