SLIDER

20 Months!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011



17 months or 20 months...this little boy is growing up WAY too fast. In just four short months we will have a two year old, a TWO year old!

I have HUGE plans for Harrison's 2nd birthday photo session, so I am trying to tame down my excitement and just pick about half of ideas I have and the hope and pray he will cooperate. My lips are sealed on the theme, but certainly there will be another photo birthday book this year.

At 20 months Harrison weighs in at 23 lbs.  Length wise he is most likely 31 to 31.5 inches in height. I am absolutely amazed how long he is! At the preemie picnic this year he was at least 2 + inches taller than his NICU neighbors. Just looking at photos in the past 3 months there is a huge difference, (but I still can't believe he wears 9 month onesies and 6-9 month shorts). However, since he is still technically a "shortie" that has it's advantage. Since Harrison still falls under 32 inches in length he gets in free to Target Field for a Minnesota Twins game. On August 28th he will attend his first game as part of Minnesota's March of Dimes day.

These days Harrison mood varies by the minute it seems. He is VERY inpatient. In Harrison's world it's his way or no way...don't let that adorable face fool you! A lot of frustration comes from not knowing what he wants. He is getting better making his wants and needs heard, but with this comes less patience on his side. When he is thirsty he will go to the refrigerator and try to open it. The second he realizes he can't get it open is the second he starts to scream and jump up and down acting as though this is the end of the world. When we used to ask to him to wait Harrison would sign "wait" back to us. Instead of signing he has gone to a less subtle approach, a temper-tantrum. The same goes for dinner time, rather than signing "eat" he shakes his high chair in protest. We continue to encourage signing, as a way calm his impulsiveness. This is merely phase (that can end any time now) As the saying goes, "this to shall pass."

Language continues to improve. He understands almost everything we say or ask him to do. Harrison can say "duck," "ma ma," "da da," "cat" which sounds like "gat," and "dog" which sounds like "dag." He favors the "g" sound. Imitation of sounds is also improving. The other day I was scolding him and told him "no, no, no" and he came back at me (giggling) repeating, "na na na." I don't think it will be long until he is using the word "no" regularly in his vocabulary. I can wait for this, though he has been giving us a preview by shaking his head no when asked if he is hungry or wants this or that.

The potty. A potty has made an appearance at house. Right now he plays with the potty and occasionally sits on it. We aren't rushing potty training just opening the door to it. Most likely we won't enforce trying until he is at least 2. On the positive side he is understanding "hey, when I poop, I'll bring a new diaper to Mommy or Daddy."  We are welcoming this with open arms!

Since we are on the topic of growing up, Harrison's crib will be converted into his toddler bed in December. I am on the search for some super cute bedding. I am glad we designed his room nuteral and not baby specific if that makes sense. His room will stay the same shades of yellow and we will keep with the frog (outdoor theme). Target offers a pretty cute line of frogs/pond I patiently waiting for them to clearance out.

Some of Harrison's favorite things include rocks,planes, fire trucks (sirens), cell phones, playing at the park, water, Whitney Dog along with his blanket and plug. Speaking of the blanket and plug...it's an unhealthy addiction. I can't believe how he can be so attached to these things---I have to thank daycare for not allowing him to tote the blanket and plug around all day, so there is proof he can live with out these! The funny part or not so funny part is the quantity of blankets. Some days one isn't good enough, he lugs around 2-3 of them...and let me tell you carrying around a blanket in 90+ degree weather is not ideal. I promise myself that we will nip this habit in the butt when we get back from vacation.

Fortunately Harrison continues to each like a horse, however his preference for foods is pickier these days. I seriously think Harrison could live on Teddy Grahams if we let him, that by far is his favorite food with yogurt coming in secondly. Harrison just stopped eating 3rd baby foods in the last week. We were very lucky to have him eat baby food for this long of period of time. On the plus side, he still loves plum food and Ella snacks which make for mess free meals/snacks.

Harrison has mastered steps. He crawls up our 19+ stairs at home, but most of the time if there is a railing, he climbs stairs like you and I. He is also getting a hang of the spoon (yeah, this really does stand a purpose). Harrison also attempts to put on his own shoes and can successfully open up half of our doors and flush the toilet.

"Gentle" finally has a meaning. Harrison is much kinder to Whitney and the kitties these days (more Whitney than the kitties). In general he is nicer to all animals. Grandma and Grandpa Nelson just welcomed a 6 week old puppy into their home. Her name is Lucy, she is Golden Retriever. Harrison met her yesterday for the first time and handled better than I expected.  I keep telling Doug we need a baby kitten for Harrison (well for Mommy too). I am unsure if we are ready for dog #2, definitely not baby #2, but a kitten, yes. I am doubtful we will convince daddy but maybe a furry friend will just show up at our house one of these days.

Helping is on top priority for Harrison. When I am getting ready in the morning he brings me make-up (and tries to put it on too, very cute BTW). When we clean house Harrison can be found with a dust cloth or swiffer....though as much as he thinks he helps---this sometimes takes me twice as long to clean each week, but as long as he is "helping" I can't turn that away.

I could probably blog a small novel on the changes in the past month, but I do realize you have a day job, so I'll touch on last thing.... cuddling.

Cuddling is quite possibly one of the best things. As a baby Harrison has never really been a cuddlier and that has been a soft subject, until recently however. One of my favorite things he does is put his arms around my shoulders and nudges up against my back. He gives lots of kisses and hugs without even being asked. The only word to sum this up? Awesome.

Harrison has a "well baby" check up Friday this week.. I am anxious to see what good things Dr. Gerhard has to say about Harrison; he hasn't seen Harrison since April. Oh...but "ouch" shots are on the agenda.

It's been a busy week for Harrison and I, daddy has been gone in Vegas for work...  We didn't manage to capture many photos tonight, Harrison was doing his own thing and I didn't have the energy to chase after him....but you don't need a ton of photos to know just how adorable this blonde hair blue eyed cutie is!


 Meet T-Bone, meet "T"
Harrison picked him out a few weeks back during a Kohl's shopping trip. I think he favors the color yellow, which is not so awesome for dirt.

 Look at this gobs of his white blonde hair. His first hair cut is nearing, possibly by his second birthday. His stylist will be Kristi.
 We chased a bunny.

Thank you to all that follow our story, our lives, our miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger