SLIDER

Tubes: Round TWO

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Kudos to us for getting two kids and ourselves up and out of the house by 5:45 am this morning. The subzero Minnesota weather was not an incentive to get up and going.

We needed to be at the hospital by 6:45 am for Harrison's tube surgery.

 Harrison was in a fantastic mood for not being a morning person.



The wait was the worst part of the whole thing. The wait for the actual surgery to start and the wait for him to come back from recovery.

At least there were cool toys to play with while we waited...

He totally rocked getting his weight check and vital signs done. A favorite of his was this oximeter. He even tried it out on daddy. The nurses were FANTASTIC with him which only made him more at ease.

The one thing he couldn't have was food/water... He didn't take that lightly. Surgery started at about 7:50 and he normally doesn't eat until 8ish, but the early start left him saying, "I'm hungry." Distractions weren't making a dent in his request.



The first thing out of surgery? Well...Marshmallows of coarse.
 

As far as the surgery itself. Doug took him back to the OR room. I just couldn't do a second time. When he was 13 months old the first time he was so unaware of what was going on, but at 3 now, he totally knows. The nurse I talked to the evening before on the phone said, "If you have any doubt you won't do well, don't take him in, kids can read your nerves/fears." The last thing I wanted to do is freak the kid out more than he was already going to be.

Doug carried him back, blanket, plug and Spider Man. I wanted to get a photo of this, but I was a little pre-occupied with worrying. It wasn't worrying about the actual procedure as much as how it would be bringing back to the OR room. When they left I listened intently for cries. I heard cries, but not Harrison cries. Doug walked back into the room and said, "I'm impressed, proud of him, he didn't cry or even put up a fight...He didn't want to lay on his back at first but willing turned over and was out in a matter of seconds with the anesthesia.

While Harrison was in surgery Doug and I talked about how AMAZING this kid is. Yeah he does have some things to work on (more about that later), but overall, he is one incredible kid. His behavior has been impressive at home in the last several weeks and his language/communication is growing in leaps and bounds. He is now talking in complete sentences regularly and is shocking me everyday with new things. Tonight he said to me, "Momma, you have to talk louder, daddy didn't hear you." Even just a few weeks ago he wasn't able to talk that complete. The kid knows most of the days of the week, loves singing, counting, knowing left from right, all of his colors. Wow.

Not only is so smart, but he can put a smile on your face when your sleep deprived, crabby or just plain blah. He is the funniest comedian I know and the best big brother any kid could ever ask for.

Recovery time took longer than the actual procedure... It felt like we waited forever, but it was really more like 30-45 minutes for him to wake back up. He arrived back a little groggy but only mention of anything of discomfort as he said, "Momma, I've got water in my ears. This afternoon at nap time he complained his head hurt and he wanted a "puppy treat" (a code name for chewable Tylenol).


I brought home a large stuffed Spider Man home yesterday evening. Harrison totally earned him today. The nurses nick named him Spider Man. He was just glowing with excitement.

After nap- we clicked a few of him and his NEW Spider Man. I'm a little sad it was getting dark out at images aren't as crisp and yellowed due with lack of natural light. They probably can be fixed, I just didn't want to fight with color balance tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger