I debated all day if we should take him in...so at 5pm I decided to call to see the wait time was at are our local urgent care.
CLOSED. Seriously an urgent care that closes at 5? For real?
More debating. Finally by 6 I had this feeling we needed to take him in. I was nearly in a panic. I mean, Harrison had EVERY sickness as a infant, but never sounded like this. I called the boys Auntie Potter and she arrived as we were packing up the diaper bag. She's such a life saver for our family, I don't know how we would function without her. Auntie stayed with Harrison and Doug and I drove to the nearest Urgent care about 35 miles from home.
It all started 3 days ago... At first no matter what I did I couldn't console Miles, he was fussy and just plain unhappy. I texted Doug while he was at work that night saying, "I don't know what is wrong with this kid." That evening he had two huge spit ups. In chatting with my mom on the phone that night as well, we chalked all this up to being just a bad day.
The next morning he woke up a little congested,but not bad and his mood, well wasn't back to normal, but not as inconsolable as the day before.
Today he woke up unable to cry and coughing. What could come out was a muffled grunt. I didn't know a baby could lose their cry. His chest rattled around with congestion and his whimpers pulled at every single heart string. He had me bawling. My heart ached for his discomfort. I called Doug and then we called his doctor. The nurse on the end of the line said using a humidifier might help and to bring him into urgent care if he had a fever or if we really thought he needed to be seen.
I googled everything online today. Most resources said to bring an infant in even without a fever if they are under the age of 3 months.
I tried steam in the shower to help loosen the chest. Harrison asked what we were doing and I said, "Miles is sick." Harrison's reply, "Take him to doctor,"
I took a three year old's advice and acted on it.
We arrived at urgent care about 7pm. The approximate wait time was 1 hr. After we met with the urgent care nurse we saw a physician within 10 minutes, the total wait time was about 20 minutes.
No fever, temp 98 degrees
Oxygen 94 %
Weight 11 lbs
The good news, this appears and maybe only viral at this time. His lungs are clear. What we have been hearing is the congestion in his throat. It's laryngitis. (I didn't even know babies could get this). The doctor was cautious in saying, "This maybe the tip of the iceberg, I might see you back here in the next 2-3 days."
Ugh... This is what I was afraid of, this is why we were there tonight. I shared the concern with ending up in the ER on Christmas Day with him. The doctor gave us urgent care hours for this weekend and on Monday they are open 7 am to 5pm.
For now it's humidifiers and frequent feedings. Hoping for a better tomorrow and not another trip to urgent care.
On our drive home tonight I turned to Doug and said, "All I want for Christmas is two healthy children."
CLOSED. Seriously an urgent care that closes at 5? For real?
More debating. Finally by 6 I had this feeling we needed to take him in. I was nearly in a panic. I mean, Harrison had EVERY sickness as a infant, but never sounded like this. I called the boys Auntie Potter and she arrived as we were packing up the diaper bag. She's such a life saver for our family, I don't know how we would function without her. Auntie stayed with Harrison and Doug and I drove to the nearest Urgent care about 35 miles from home.
It all started 3 days ago... At first no matter what I did I couldn't console Miles, he was fussy and just plain unhappy. I texted Doug while he was at work that night saying, "I don't know what is wrong with this kid." That evening he had two huge spit ups. In chatting with my mom on the phone that night as well, we chalked all this up to being just a bad day.
The next morning he woke up a little congested,but not bad and his mood, well wasn't back to normal, but not as inconsolable as the day before.
Today he woke up unable to cry and coughing. What could come out was a muffled grunt. I didn't know a baby could lose their cry. His chest rattled around with congestion and his whimpers pulled at every single heart string. He had me bawling. My heart ached for his discomfort. I called Doug and then we called his doctor. The nurse on the end of the line said using a humidifier might help and to bring him into urgent care if he had a fever or if we really thought he needed to be seen.
I googled everything online today. Most resources said to bring an infant in even without a fever if they are under the age of 3 months.
I tried steam in the shower to help loosen the chest. Harrison asked what we were doing and I said, "Miles is sick." Harrison's reply, "Take him to doctor,"
I took a three year old's advice and acted on it.
We arrived at urgent care about 7pm. The approximate wait time was 1 hr. After we met with the urgent care nurse we saw a physician within 10 minutes, the total wait time was about 20 minutes.
No fever, temp 98 degrees
Oxygen 94 %
Weight 11 lbs
The good news, this appears and maybe only viral at this time. His lungs are clear. What we have been hearing is the congestion in his throat. It's laryngitis. (I didn't even know babies could get this). The doctor was cautious in saying, "This maybe the tip of the iceberg, I might see you back here in the next 2-3 days."
Ugh... This is what I was afraid of, this is why we were there tonight. I shared the concern with ending up in the ER on Christmas Day with him. The doctor gave us urgent care hours for this weekend and on Monday they are open 7 am to 5pm.
For now it's humidifiers and frequent feedings. Hoping for a better tomorrow and not another trip to urgent care.
On our drive home tonight I turned to Doug and said, "All I want for Christmas is two healthy children."
More tears, feel better.
Sleep tight my Mr. Miles




No comments:
Post a Comment