SLIDER

Miles @ 2 Months

Thursday, December 20, 2012

I'm a few days late with this post, or even a little later than that since it's taken me four days to have time to finish this entry! I've been playing catch-up with everything around here. The good thing? Christmas cards and thank yous sent out, Christmas shopping done, cookies baked and decorated, oh and a non-crying capture of Miles...SUCCESS!

 
 
 
I remember saying in his ONE MONTH post, how much more planned I would be in his second month post. The big fat truth? I lied. So here is another unorganized monthly update, enjoy.
 
 
Sleep: We are getting more sleep. Miles usually has his last feeding for the night between 10-10:30 and he wakes at about 3am and 6 am for feedings. Though most recently the 6 am feedings are turning into more like 7 am feedings (yeah). The first night he sleeps through the night we will have a party.
 
As far as day time sleeping...he still sleeps a lot. He is most alert and awake from anywhere between 7ish in th evening to about 11 PM, but not for the that entire period of time. His longest stretch of awake without a cat-nap is about an hour and a half, but I say that now and he gave me a good 3 hours yesterday evening of total wide eyed-alert. Just when you think you just got him figured out right?
 
Mom is napping. It took me six weeks to finally start napping. Now I only wonder how I survived those very first weeks. I am beginning to wonder how I will cope when I return to work without my afternoon ZZZs. For now, I am enjoy my guilt free afternoon sleep.
 
Feeding: He is guzzling 4 ounce bottles these days. Typical feedings are 3-5 hours apart, but in the evenings he cluster feeds from about 5-8ish. I am sure he is well over ten pounds by now. Sadly I packed away most of newborn sized clothing last weekend. He is officially sized 0-3 months.
 
I exclusively breast fed Miles through the 6th week, but when he began to eat 3, 4 ounce bottles between 5-8pm one person can only provide so much. I felt like I failed. I remember this same feeling I had with Harrison. I still pump 3-4 times a day and nurse him at night and in the early morning so on a typical day he has 1-2 bottles of formula. I am hoping this time around I can last longer providing breast milk. With Harrison I stopped pumping and he immediately caught every germ. The hardest part of breast feeding will be returning to work for this is when the supply usually dramatically drops off from #1 Not being with your baby #2 Stress at work and #3 Not finding enough time to pump often enough. For anyone who has breast fed before, this is a FULL time job.
 
Personality: He's a sleeper. The evenings when he is most alert he enjoys sitting in his bumbo chair being talked to or being carried around the house (vacuuming is a favorite chore of his). He likes action so he needs to be held facing outward for observation. We also use the bouncer quite often.  He isn't a fan of tummy time and I don't know any two month olds that are...We use the boppy pillow under him while he is on his belly and he tolerates that much better. And as far as a swing update, he still doesn't like it. Overall his temper and mood have improved immensely in the last few weeks. He has even started to coo a bit (something Harrison didn't do until he was 4 months old). By no means would I label this guy as an easy baby, but he is taking it a little easier on his mom and dad these days and I will take that.
 
Appearance: He is our little old man. He's still got some forehead man wrinkles and his man hair tuff near the bottom of his neck. I was shopping yesterday (a complete surprise I know) and the check out clerk said, "Now isn't he the cutest looking little old man." I guess it's a preview of what he'll look like in 70+ years.
 
The cradle cap and baby acne is cleared up since last month. Believe it or not but his hair has grown in more and has gotten a bit lighter in color. His eyes have lightened as well to a blue that I'll expect him to keep like his big brother, though we won't know his true eye color until he is about 9-10 months old.
 
He has my dimple, he has my ears. It's the little things you notice. With his spontaneous smiles you can capture the right sided dimple. I only have one, he only has one, both on the right side. The many times you feed him a day you can't help but notice the details, like his ears that are curved and unattached, not like his brother. I seem to notice something new everyday.
 
Size: He's definitely grown. Man the car seat is heavy. Doug made a comment walking into the store (shopping again? NO WAY!) "Miles, what the heck happened?" as Doug hung the car seat a little lower on our way in. Like I said I guess 10-12 lbs at least. He's too long to nurse between the car seats in the back of the car. He's heavy enough to need a pillow propped under your arm when being fed. He seems a little disproportional, but seriously what kid is perfectly the same size from head to toe? His upper boy is longer, he has long arms and I call his hands catcher mitts. Most clothes fit him snug or just to a T on the top and he drowns in pants. I am always rolling them or picking out a size smaller for the bottom. This is why I am such a big fan on one piece clothing, it seems to fit him the best and doesn't ride up or fall off. We also transitioned from size newborn diapers to size one.
 
And the rest of the family...
 
Big Brother Harrison: Harrison loves to be a big brother. The phase most heard in the house? "I do it." From changing his diapers, to bathing, feeding and carrying Miles, Harrison wants to help. I honestly couldn't have imagined a smoother transition to Miles. There isn't jealousy (not yet anyways). Just this morning I hopped out of the shower and heard Miles crying out. I open the door to find Harrison petting his head saying, "Don't cry." Harrison eventually made his way to the bathroom to tell me, "Miles hungry." What's even better is all the interaction they have now. Since Miles can sit up in the bumbo now, we include him in nightly activities etc. The other night we were coloring and when Harrison finished he said, "Look Momma, Look Miles, picture for daddy." He very much includes him in everything and likes people to know that this is his brother and he is a nice baby. Talk about melt your heart moments everyday.
 
Mommy: Is enjoying having a baby again. Last night as I was picking up the living room I was moving Miles bouncer and stopped to take in for a minute how blessed we are to get to do this a second time. Sometimes it still doesn't feel real to me.
 
I can't believe how fast 8 weeks has gone by. I am taking in every moment of these last 4 weeks I have at home with him. I step foot back in to the office on January 7th. Miles doesn't start daycare until February 11, which means we had to find daycare for 5 weeks until this opening. My mom is taking the first week, his Auntie Potter the second week. Doug the third week, me the fourth week and Doug again for the 5th week. Knowing he will still be at home those 5 weeks is good feeling. Its not that I don't trust the center, but there is something to be said for getting extra 1:1 and stay away from the germs a little longer. Within the first month of daycare Harrison started to get sick all the time. It wasn't until he was 2.5 years old before we could make it more than a week without catching something. It makes me very nervous about croup and RSV, both of which Harrison had and my memory paints a vivid reminder of those sicknesses. I asked at Miles 6 week appointment if he could get the RSV vaccine, but at 35 weeks it's too close to term birth that insurance won't pay the cost and we can't afford the $1,000 vaccine without insurance.
 
Daddy: Has been busy at work. For those that have husbands in retail management, my deepest sympathy. The holidays will soon be over and life can resume as normal. The sad thing with the holidays it's more the presents than it is to celebrate the real meaning or spend time with your family. I sometimes think Christmas would be better without any presents. You can't buy a relationship or buy love. Its such a hustle and bustle rush when all we really need to do is hug each other and tell each other, "I love you."
 
Before I know it I will be sitting down to write his 3 month post.
 
Love you my Mr. Miles!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger