Harrison has been telling us multiple times a day, "I'm cold," for months. Well you can't really blame him for the winter and spring we have had (and actually we thought maybe he had the meaning of hot/cold mixed up). However on the few days we did make it into the 80s and 90s Harrison was shivering cold and asking us to turn on the heat and more covers (he already sleeps with 2 tie blankets and a down comforter).
The "I'm cold," started to stick with us. We tried to figure out if it had a pattern...we did notice it more when he ate (Doug even got his shaking on video), but then other times he would be in the middle of play start to shake and then, "I'm cold," would come out and then he would return to play.
We started to walk the line of, "that's just not right." I decided to make an appointment with our pediatrician.
After a physical exam the doctor felt like if there was really something wrong it would be his thyroid. Physically he appeared healthy, so something like type 1 diabetes was ruled out and his skin and hair is healthy so anemia was ruled out.
Next came the blood work. Doug said Harrison did amazing with the draw. From what I was told, they tried to distract him, but he wanted to watch. I talked to him on the phone afterwards and asked him how it went and he said, "It only hurt a little bit." No screaming, no tears, wow...kid you amaze us!
It's been a couple weeks since his appointment. We just got the test results back a couple of days ago. Everything from the test points to a normal working thyroid. Any good news is welcomed, however this still doesn't answer the question, "Why is he so cold?" I mean it does look a little strange when it's in the 80s outside and our kid's wearing a sweat shirt.
The doctor did go on to say that, "sometimes we don't know why they are cold." This makes me feel a little better as he has worked with other families with "cold kids."
We are going to give it a little more time to see where this takes us. If his symptoms don't improve in the coming weeks we will follow up again. Until then we travel with a sweat shirt everywhere no matter how cool or warm.
The "I'm cold," started to stick with us. We tried to figure out if it had a pattern...we did notice it more when he ate (Doug even got his shaking on video), but then other times he would be in the middle of play start to shake and then, "I'm cold," would come out and then he would return to play.
We started to walk the line of, "that's just not right." I decided to make an appointment with our pediatrician.
After a physical exam the doctor felt like if there was really something wrong it would be his thyroid. Physically he appeared healthy, so something like type 1 diabetes was ruled out and his skin and hair is healthy so anemia was ruled out.
Next came the blood work. Doug said Harrison did amazing with the draw. From what I was told, they tried to distract him, but he wanted to watch. I talked to him on the phone afterwards and asked him how it went and he said, "It only hurt a little bit." No screaming, no tears, wow...kid you amaze us!
It's been a couple weeks since his appointment. We just got the test results back a couple of days ago. Everything from the test points to a normal working thyroid. Any good news is welcomed, however this still doesn't answer the question, "Why is he so cold?" I mean it does look a little strange when it's in the 80s outside and our kid's wearing a sweat shirt.
The doctor did go on to say that, "sometimes we don't know why they are cold." This makes me feel a little better as he has worked with other families with "cold kids."
We are going to give it a little more time to see where this takes us. If his symptoms don't improve in the coming weeks we will follow up again. Until then we travel with a sweat shirt everywhere no matter how cool or warm.



No comments:
Post a Comment